Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Pineapple Express Red Band Trailer

Judd Apatow is a very funny man. The 40-Year-Old Virgin is the funniest film of this decade, with Superbad's running a close second. Even when he fails to meet my expectations, as in Knocked Up, Apatow still manages to bring enough of the funny that I overlook his films' other problems (like his penchant for keeping his movies, on average, at a sprightly seven hours).

Judd Apatow is also a very busy man. His schedule, and seemingly overnight success following Virgin, has been compared to John Hughes' in the director’s 80's heyday, and, like Hughes, Apatow likes to have myriad projects at various stages of development simultaneously. Of his current slate of movies, Drillbit Taylor and Forgetting Sarah Marshall do not interest me in the slightest, even though I'll end up seeing them the weekend they open - though I am not sure I will be able to extend my patronage to You Don't Mess with the Zohan, an ostensibly by-the-numbers Borat knock-off, which sounds like a take-the-money-and-run kinda deal for Apatow.

However, I can't wait for The Year One, and Pineapple Express, an action/comedy written by Apatow, Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, and directed by David Gordon Green, which is a combination just kerazee enough to work! Its red band trailer has been leaked to the interwebs, and, in only a minute and half, I counted quite a few references to Tarantino, the Coen Brothers, Hong Kong cinema, 80's action movies... So basically it’s like Hot Fuzz, but actually funny. Check it out:

Thanks to Timothy Sergeant for sending me the link.

0 comments: